November 2, 2013

Pelligrini's - Old school Italian fare

This old institution is really a time capsule.  From the countertops to the stools, the food right down to the staff.  Reminds me of old Coliseum restaurant in Kuala Lumpur.
It's really a straight forward Italian coffee shop that serves pasta, cakes, pies,coffee, granita and yummy gelato.
Pies are rustic and tastes exactly like a good home made pie. Loved the blueberry pie, crust was buttery, tasty and the filling had generous amount of blueberries.
I've tried the spaghetti bolognese which was fairly good.  I wouldn't rave about it but hey, who's gonna argue with the Italian mama? I'd still go back just cos it feels homely.
The coffee, they use Vittoria which has been one of my favourites, is the perfect finish to the pie I just had....burp! Pardon me..
I had the spaghetti and granita on another occasion, and the granita is great especially with summer coming.  Ice cold cold...
This place is worth a try for its history, homeliness and just because. ..oh, and they serve good baked cheesecake too.

66, Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 



No comments:

Post a Comment